No class on Monday, December 12
Revised Final Project story must be posted by Wed, Dec. 14 at 12:30pm. NO LATE WORK ACCEPTED. (Worth 70 points) Make sure your final project has all of the required elements (ie headline, photo, 3 quotes, graph, links, spreadsheet of data, etc) and has a clear structure).
Final Project presentations (Worth 5 points) during final exam period Wed, Dec. 14 12:30pm-2:30pm
-Pivot table story rewrite. Open:
-Wednesday, Dec. 7 is a final project workday. Bring what you have.
-First draft of Final Project must be posted
Wed., Dec. 7 Friday, Dec. 9 at 10am. (Follow this suggested structure for your final project article)
-No class on Monday, December 12
-Revised Final Project story must be posted by Wed, Dec. 14 at 12:30pm. NO LATE WORK ACCEPTED. (Worth 70 points) Make sure your final project has all of the required elements (ie headline, photo, 3 quotes, graph, links, etc) and has a clear structure).
-Final Project presentations (Worth 5 points) during final exam period Wed, Dec. 14 12:30-2:30pm
Each person will give a presentation of their final project. Worth 5 points toward final project grade.
Prepare four points (4 minutes max):
- Give us the nutgraph of your story.
- One thing you are proud of.
- One thing that didn’t work out as you hoped.
- A takeaway. What did you learn in the process of doing story?
-Review your classmates’ Final Project pitches at https://rudatajstudent.wordpress.com/ Help each other out with ideas and feedback.
-Work on take home home quiz #5 (Part 1: Pivot Tables and Part 2: Fusion Tables) due to me by email at the end of class on Wed. Nov. 30.
-Work on Final Project Outline and Storyboard due Fri., Dec 2 at noon.
-Heads up: First draft of your Final Project story is due Wed., Dec. 7
See this suggested structure for your final project article
Due Friday, Dec. 2 by Noon. Worth 10 points toward final project grade
Post an update to your Project Pitch and Data Plan post at https://rudatajstudent.wordpress.com/
At the bottom of your post write:
Then post the following:
- Post a link to a spreadsheet you are using to analyze your data.
- Summarize some of your key findings that will be the crux of your story. Either a paragraph or a few bullet points is fine.
- Provide a rough-draft or sketch of a graphic or chart you plan to use for your story.
For example, I’m looking for something like this:
- Here is the spreadsheet I am working with to analyze all the five-star high school football players from 2002 to 2009.
2. Some key findings:
- Between 2002 and 2009, 236 high school football players earned the five-star classification. Of those players with five-star ratings, 56% of them made it to the NFL. Going deeper into the data, out of the 132 players who played a snap in the NFL, 24 of them have been selected to a Pro Bowl (18%).
- A study by SBNation found that in the 2014 NFL draft, 55% of the picks in the first two rounds were five and four-star players. The study determined that a five-star has a three-in-five chance of getting drafted.
- Out of 23 starting quarterbacks in the NFL, 14 of them received either a three or two-star (61%). Only 3 were five-star players.
3. Here is a graph I’m thinking about making
-Handing back Group Rowan Crime Data Stories
-Bring initial ideas for your Final Project to class on Monday. We’ll discuss.
-Your Final Project Pitch and Data Plan are Due Wed, Nov. 23 before you leave for break
-Take home quiz #5 (Part 1: Pivot Tables and Part 2: Fusion Tables) due Wed. Nov. 30. You’ll have some class time to work on this next week.
-No assignments over weekend. Happy Thanksgiving.
Due Wed, Nov. 30. Worth 15 points
Make three pivot tables following the instructions below.
In an email, submit your answers to questions 1-9. Then write 150-word hard news story for questions 10-15.
Email it to me with subject line Pivot Table quiz